Friday, July 18, 2008

Reading

I was doing my morning reading of not news and I came across the blog of Neil Gaiman. In the post I read he was responding to a bookseller who is not the biggest fan of him experimenting with putting one of his book s online for free. The bookseller had to survive and all.

I see both sides of the argument but I like the side better that says if you never had a taste of (let's say) cheese how will you ever know you like it.

Now I I must say that I would one day love to be an successful author of both fiction and non-fiction. When this happens I would love it if people bought my books but I do know I'll have to give a sample.

Which brings to why the saying "Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free is wrong".

Wouldn't you be pissed if you bought a cow without trying the milk (because the cow had pretty spots or whatever) and you find out that the milk is bad?

So getting back to why this post is titled "Reading". In Gaiman's post he sites the statistic that 1 in 4 adults read no books last year. It's kind of scary to read, even though I may fit in that category. I know I have started to read books but didn't finish one.

I would love to be a pleasure reader again. I don't have the time. Every year I set big reading goals for myself and never achieve them. I am now a part of a book club that a friend started. I have the book I am on like page 6 there are almost 400 pages wish me luck. Some have suggested I just watch the movie. I know that it is cheating.

I have a vague idea of what my point for this post was and it is...

If you want me to read your work and gain a fan. Give me a sample. If you are a good dealer, your words will be like heroin and I will want need to read more. I will go to a local bookshop (once I find one I like) and buy the hell out of your books. I have been know to go back and buy an additional copy because I have ruin my first by reading it to much (or hard).

Neil Gaiman's Journal
The Neil Gaiman post

ted.

No comments: